Friday, April 12, 2013

Dropping Gas and Electric Bills by Hundreds a Month

Okay, I've been using the homemade laundry soap, thanks to my friend who helped me make some. It was way easy. Along with that I have also been putting a dry towel in my dryer when drying a load of laundry. I'm using way less soap and it is doing a fantastic job. And... it not only takes me half as long to dry a load of laundry but my gas and electric bill has gone down. 

The gas bill went down drastically by lowering the water heater temperature to hot enough to do dishes, just about half way. My electric bill is now about half of what it has been. I'm going to experiment with adding scented oils to the hand towel I use as a dryer sheet. I was truly amazed by how much my electric bill has dropped just this past month. Wow. 

This is how you make the laundry soap. One 76 ounce box of Borax, one 55 ounce box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda and 5 bars of Ivory Soap. It is completely natural without scents or dyes. And it does a bang up job. Two tablespoons is all you need. I got some Oxi-clean for extra deep cleaning because it is good for colors or white. I've used it twice. The rest of the time, just two tablespoons of soap per load.
You empty the boxes into an air tight plastic container and use a cheese grater and grate your five bars of soap. Its so easy and so fast. And that's it. 

 By dropping my hot water heater temperature to hot enough to do dishes without adding cold water and by making my own soap and using a dry hand towel as a dryer sheet I am saving approximately 400$ a month during the winter months and $250-300 a month during the summer because I often hang my laundry out to dry. I'm also not wasting as much water adjusting the temperature and waiting for it to be just right. My heating bills are less than $50 a month for a two bedroom house and $45 a month for electricity. They used to be a lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment