Sunday, July 17, 2011

Harry Potter... Harry Potter...

I've been getting caught up on all of my Harry Potter movies. With memory problems I find it helpful to see them all before I go to see the next one. I want to have some sort of feeling of the context of what is happening in this last movie. It probably won't matter much but maybe it will help a little bit, to remember.

Years ago a young boy who lived nearby and I were talking about a Harry Potter movie that was coming out. And he asked me if I had ever read one of the books and I told him no. And I thought, this is such a popular series of books; as a writer I should at least read one. Even if it is a kid's storybook.

I saw a paperback for sale and bought it. And I loved reading it. I read one every year. And I couldn't wait to read the next one. I thoroughly enjoyed dropping into the imaginative world J.K. Rowlings had created. With every book there were surprises. People changed and events took place that I could never have predicted. And I love it when that happens.

I also cared about the characters. So when the movies were coming out, some before I had read the book and some afterwards, I was always intrigued by the way these movies revealed these stories. Now the last one is upon us. It has already opened in the theaters. But I will need to wait another week because it will probably be crowded and difficult to navigate now.

The anticipation is so much fun. I'm so glad my neighbor recommended that I read one of the Harry Potter books. What a treat it has been!

Oh, I saw the Deathly Hallows Part II about two weeks after it opened. It totally kicked. I went with my kids. We had such a good time.

I'm still glad I read the books too. Though the film makers stayed pretty true to the books; there was no way they could include everything. The suspence of not knowing what was going to happen next and having to wait a whole year or more before you could find out made these books all the more tantalizing.

I think I read the Deathly Hallows three times. The first just to read it. The second to write notes on page slips to try to figure out what was happening with all of that wand and horcrux stuff. And the last time I just read the pages with notes. It'll be great when the movie comes out and I can see it again.

I thought there were so many profound lessons about the way people are through this amazing tale that was taking place in a parallel wizarding world. I'd like to be able to hold onto to some of those thoughts by putting them all together and then watching the movie. I think I may even understand a little more by doing that.

I wanted to go see it again while it was still in the movie theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment