Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Good Neighbors

Yesterday my neighbor was doing maintenance on his air conditioning. I have so much respect for my neighbors. The list is long on how they live and raise their children and treat each other. We speak different languages and always wind up understanding each other with what we do know. He has a business and maintains and repairs his vans. His house. His yard. And I do my best too. But there is a vast difference between what he knows and can do and what I know and can do.

I was putting fresh water in the bird bath and mentioned to him, "Is there anything you can't do?" I was fascinated that he had these things with numbers on them and he was reading them and knew what they meant.

He asked me how my air conditioner was working and I said not great. It did fine when it wasn't too hot but when it got to be around 90 it didn't work so good. Someone who has a business and repairs furnaces and central air had told me I had a slow leak and that I needed to have it all replaced. Well, there was no way I could afford that and I thought, I'll pick up a small air conditioner to help with those really hot days and do without. No problem.

My neighbor looks at my central air dealeo outside and the filter around it is really dirty and there are lots of leaves inside. He had taken the outside container off and was cleaning it. I couldn't believe I had never even thought about that before. And partly also, I am nervous about having people come to help me because repairmen aren't always honest. Some times they take a basic cleaning job and turn it into and 1000+ job and it makes me hesitant to even have basic maintenance done some times. Well, after cleaning it and then adding a little freon gas my air conditioner is working perfectly. He explained to me if I had a big leak it would be hours and then no air conditioning. A small leak maybe a few months but this would not be something that would last for years. When the air gets cold some times and not others, it probably just needs maintenance.

Now I wasn't trying to be clever to get my neighbor to help me. I was completely okay with my plan. But that he went out of his way to help me and see what was going on with my air was so nice.  It took him about an hour to clean it and get it all sorted and put back together, and he did this just out of the kindness of his heart. And then he got his tester and made sure the numbers for the air conditioner were right.  And by then it was starting to get dark.  His daughter came by and watched her Daddy fixing something and helping someone.  And when all was said and done, and his daughter gave him a great big hug when it was time to go eat I thought... I hope I never forget that sweet expression on her face.  And he loved her right back.  I have neighbors that love their children.  That think about what they need to grow and become good human beings.  That take this seriously and that are good neighbors... well, it just doesn't get much better than that.

With all of the bad things, sad things and big things that are going on in the world that can dishearten us I just wanted to post something wonderful about how good people, doing good things for no reason at all other than being a caring person.... well it can go a long way. We all have something we can offer. It doesn't have to be big to make a difference in someone's life.

Have a great day. I'm going to do my last tilling before planting some wonderful seeds this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment