Saturday, November 17, 2012

21 Jump Street ~ Film Review

I watched 21 Jump Street with Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum last night. It totally cracked me up. It's a stoner crime drama sort'a kind'a. It reminded me a little of Pineapple Express, one of my fave contemporary off-beat comedies, which had one of the best fight scenes in it - ever.  I checked to see if any of the writers were the same but I'm guessing other than Mary Jane, they were all different.


I did find a common link though. James Franco, who starred in Pineapple Express and Dave Franco, who co-starred in 21 Jump Street are brothers. Dave is the younger brother of James Franco. Both are excellent actors. It is hard to go from goofball, to reasonable sort'a kind'a stoner to tough guy to friend to foe and still be believable. But James and Dave can do the damn thing. I look forward to seeing both of them soon.  Of course Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum were fantastic and I'm not going to give away some of the surprise cameos in 21 Jump Street but yeah, it was well written and directed and produced and all around well played. And it had some of the best getting in the car and gun scenes - ever.
If you like action stoner screwball comedies and you some how missed this one, it was clever and entertaining and made me laugh ridiculously out loud. Oh and Michael Bacall (no, he isn't related to Lauren Bacall), the writer of 21, also wrote Inglourious Basterds. I'm a fan now. I haven't seen Project X yet or Scott Pilgrim vs. the World but I'll check them out on Netflix. Anywho, this may not be for everybody but I had a blast watching it and thought I'd pass it on... my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment