Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Crazy, The Hank Garland Story

Watched a film called, "Crazy, The Harry Garland Story."  I looked at it on the library shelf and decided to check it out.  It is a gem.  The performance of the lead actor, Waylan Payne, was - perfect.  He nailed it.  The director, Rick Bieber, who also co-wrote the script, did a great job.  I haven't heard his name before but wow.

It was true to the period and because of this, at times troubling.  The look of the film and the camera work will - beautiful.  Editing, excellent.  And the sound was - perfect.

Hank Garland was a great, inventive country guitarist.  I recognized his sound but never knew his name.  What blew me away was what happened toward the end. Waylan Payne is the first actor, other than Robert DeNiro, who completely withdrew into a performance that was so real, that, well, I was blown away.  I highly recommend the film.  Especially, if you like music history and the guitar.  It is country so if you have a problem with that, you may not dig it.  But I love it and have always loved the Hank Garland sound.

And Waylon Payne, its only just begun for this young man.

No comments:

Post a Comment