Wednesday, June 29, 2011

There's a Hole

There's a hole in my canvas dear Coco dear Coco
There's a hole in my canvas dear Coco there's a hole....














Yesterday I finished a painting I had been working on for a year. I stood back and loved every inch of the canvas and then I signed it. Then I decided to work on an area of the canvas next to it. And then.... an ever so mild breeze nudged it off of its easel and it dropped onto Coco who was laying on the deck near my feet.

When I reached down for the painting I realized my jar of brushes wasn't under the chair and the canvas had fallen on it and a brush went right through it.

Oh noooooooo.

I shook my head for awhile. Said I can't believe it a few times. Remembered how I thought about putting the canvas in the garage so it would dry without any little bugs flying into the wet paint and then how I thought, oh, I'll just do this one thing first and whoops.... there it went.

For a little while I thought about how I had just, seconds ago, been so excited about donating this painting to a really special organization and then I wondered, should I start over? I decided, I'd measure and see how much I would need to take off the bottom and see how it would look. So I measured and pulled the staples off the back along the bottom of the canvas. And I cut two inches off, not much. It's still a good size. And then I put together four braces to put the canvas on and held it up in front of the painting, framing it with the braces and thought, you know what? It's going to be fine.

My daughter reassured me that it was still a kickass piece and not to worry about it.

So I'll give it a couple of days and keep on working on my other pieces and then when its dry enough I'll restretch it.

That's the first time this has ever happened to me. I always keep my brushes in jars and put them under a chair or bench just so I don't knock them over. The thought never occurred to me that my canvas could fall on them and one could make a hole in it.

This melody crept into my mind from the recesses of who knows where. All I could remember was this phrase, "there's a hole in the bucket". So I went online to find the lyrics and then went to YouTube to see if I could find someone singing it. And I found two of my faves singing it, Kris Kristopherson and Ani DiFranco.



I've heard it sung with dear Henry and dear Willy.
I've heard some sing in my bucket and in the bucket.
Either way, its cute.

There's a Hole In The Bucket Lyrics
(it's an old nursery song)


There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza,
There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, a hole.
Then fix it, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
Then fix it, dear Henry, dear Henry, fix it.
With what shall I fix it, dear Liza, dear Liza?
With what shall I fix it, dear Liza, with what?
With straw, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
With straw, dear Henry, dear Henry, with straw.
The straw is too long, dear Liza, dear Liza,
The straw is too long, dear Liza, too long,
Then cut it, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
Then cut it, dear Henry, dear Henry, cut it.
With what shall I cut it, dear Liza, dear Liza?
With what shall I cut it, dear Liza, with what?
With an axe, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
With an axe, dear Henry, dear Henry, an axe.
The axe is too dull, dear Liza, dear Liza,
The axe is too dull, dear Liza, too dull.
Then sharpen it, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
Then sharpen it, dear Henry, dear Henry, sharpen it.
With what shall I sharpen it, dear Liza, dear Liza?
With what shall I sharpen it, dear Liza, with what?
With a stone, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
With a stone, dear Henry, dear Henry, a stone.
The stone is too dry, dear Liza, dear Liza,
The stone is too dry, dear Liza, too dry.
Then wet it, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
Then wet it, dear Henry, dear Henry, wet it.
With what shall I wet it, dear Liza, dear Liza?
With what shall I wet, dear Liza, with what?
try water, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
try water, dear Henry, dear Henry, water.
In what shall I fetch it, dear Liza, dear Liza?
In what shall I fetch it, dear Liza, in what?
In a bucket, dear Henry, dear Henry, dear Henry,
In a bucket, dear Henry, dear Henry, bucket.
There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza,
There's a hole in my bucket, dear Liza, a hole


There's a hole in my canvas. Can you believe it?


Oh well.
Guess I'll fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment