Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Frustrations and Creativity of an Artist

The concept of a piece and how to make it happen are the beginning phases of artistic work. But the grueling process when we have no idea what to do next can be really rough. This vimeo describes this process beautifully.

IMAGINE: How Creativity Works from Flash Rosenberg on Vimeo.


Yesterday I was out cutting more branches for my sculpture and as I was sorting and laying the branches out when I was inspired. Slowly I got a clearer picture of what the nest was going to look like. And the materials I'd use for the birds and how I was going to use different found materials for their physical attributes. I already had interesting objects in the garage waiting for a new purpose. And later, delighting in watching the birds in my yard and wanting the sculpture to be an interactive piece that the squirrels and birds would also enjoy I decided to make the baby birds the structure that would hold a large ceramic tray and use that as a bird bath.

And I thought, this doesn't have to have a definite beginning or an end. I can add things to the nest, ribbons and feathers and shiny objects too. And that was when I had that delighted feeling and felt the direction. The doing of it will be fun but the thinking, which so often makes it so, is truly the first step. I still have some cutting to do and should be finished with that in the next few days. I'm working on that and a canvas that I've been struggling with and that now I have some clarity with so its creative thoughts and hard work ahead and I so love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment